Managing Behavior Do’s & Don’ts
• Discipline appropriately based on age.
• Preschoolers are fine with time out only
• Children as old as 12 can also benefit from time out
• Preteen and teenager, you can have a conversation about what consequence would be applicable
• Teach New Skills
• Provide a replacement behavior for the act.
• Teach the child difference with being upset and having a physical aggression.
• Respond Calmly. Be firm yet not aggressive.
• Wait for the child to calm down before you respond, send them to time out, until they have calmed down.
• Provide Immediate Consequences if possible or wait for your spouse to come home, and discuss a plan of action.
• Create an Act of Kindness
• Use Physical activity.
• Make child repair the broken item or fix the damage
• Match your child aggression
• Binary punish.
• Bribe or bargain with your child
• Model aggression